Monday, July 18, 2016

Moonshot by Alessandra Torre

Rating: Three stars
Date published: July 4, 2016
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Mystery

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Baseball isn’t supposed to be a game of life and death…
The summer that Chase Stern entered my life, I was seventeen. The daughter of a legend, the Yankees were my family, their stadium my home, their dugout my workplace. My focus was on the game. Chase... he started out as a distraction. A distraction with sex appeal poured into every inch of his six foot frame. A distraction who played like a god and partied like a devil.
I tried to stay away. I couldn’t.
Then, the team started losing.
Women started dying.
And everything in my world broke apart.

The past few weeks I've seen Moonshot everywhere. Nearly every blog I'm following has posted something about it, along with a few authors. They were all raving about what a fantastic book Moonshot is, so naturally I was intrigued. The cover drew me in too. It's such a beautiful cover.

Flash forward to me sitting on a beach starting Moonshot. I purposely held off on reading it until I could relax on a beach with my Kindle. The only issue with that is that I don't think Moonshot started off that strong. There were hardly any descriptions for anything at all. No people, no surroundings. The chapters are short, choppy passages, which are fine, but I just wanted more. There was even a chapter that was told in short, fragmented sentences. That chapter turned me off Moonshot more than anything else. I don't feel like Torre is the most well-rounded author and it showed in blaring lights for me.

Then I hit 20% and things started to speed up for Ty and Chase. I loved the tension between the two of them. Their feelings for each other were strong and leaped off the page for me. I liked the age difference between the two, the forbidden romance aspect of it. It was going on strong until about 50% when Ty and Chase ended things and there was a four year time jump. At this point, I was annoyed again, because it seemed like Torre was trying to tell two different stories in one, with one being forbidden love and the other being forbidden love and second chance romance with murder mystery added in. However, my annoyance didn't stop me from reading on. I was intrigued, even though I was unhappy with what this had turned into, because of course five minutes after Ty and Chase are back into each other's life, Ty is cheating on her husband with Chase. I didn't like how she treated Chase either, choosing the game over telling her husband it's over and being with Chase. At the same time, I loved Ty and Chase's chemistry and how they couldn't keep their hands off each other. Torre's sex scenes were well-written.

The murder mystery was a nice touch to the plot. I liked how it was told with just a blurb between sections until it becomes a main plot point. The ending of it was also not a disappointment. I liked how everything wrapped up in general.

As you can see, Moonshot put me on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. I loved it and I hated it, but overall I liked it. I would certainly recommend it to a friend.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't wait for your review on this book and I am not disappointed!

    ReplyDelete