Saturday, September 10, 2016

Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

Rating: Five stars
Series: Throne of Glass #5
Date published: September 6, 2016
Genre: Fantasy

Synopsis from Goodreads:
The long path to the throne has only just begun for Aelin Galathynius. Loyalties have been broken and bought, friends have been lost and gained, and those who possess magic find themselves at odds with those don't.
As the kingdoms of Erilea fracture around her, enemies must become allies if Aelin is to keep those she loves from falling to the dark forces poised to claim her world. With war looming on all horizons, the only chance for salvation lies in a desperate quest that may mark the end of everything Aelin holds dear.
Aelin's journey from assassin to queen has entranced millions across the globe, and this fifth installment will leave fans breathless. Will Aelin succeed in keeping her world from splintering, or will it all come crashing down?
I tried to prepare myself for the fifth installment of the Throne of Glass series, but I'm not entirely sure there was a way to fully prepare myself for the journey. I don't know how it's possible, but each book in the series has better than the last, and Empire of Storms is no exception. Sarah J. Maas is a fantastic writer and anyone can see this by picking up this novel. The way she has so flawlessly created the plot for these novels really impresses me. She's great at not giving away too many details, making us wait for the twists and turns in the plot, hanging onto every single one of her words.

By far, my favorite part of Empire of Storms was the action. There were so many action sequences in this one, so many battles and so much magic usage. I was so into these scenes, and I especially liked how a good portion of this book took place at sea. I got a very Pirates of the Caribbean feel from it, which just made me all the more interested.

Many familiar faces return in Empire of Storms. Of course, the favorites are still main characters - Aelin, Rowan, Lysandra, Aedion, Dorian and Manon are all at the forefront of this novel. Elide and Lorcan also play key roles in this plot, and I loved getting to spend time with them as they made their way to Aelin.

But there's more than just those familiar faces. You'll also see the Pirate Lord Rolfe, Ansel of Briarcliff, and Ilias of the Silent Assassins from the prequel novellas, which can be found in The Assassin's Blade. I loved seeing both of them return to help Aelin's cause, whether brief or playing more of a key role like Rolfe did. I also have no doubt we will be seeing much more from them in the next novel.

Empire of Storms may be a huge book, but there's not a dull moment in it. Its packed full of fantasy, romance, and action. There's so many threats Aelin has to face, between the Valg and Maeve, along with knowledge she needs to attain. I could've finished it in two days, but I had to pace myself. I was not ready for the journey to end. There's something about Maas's writing that just draws you in. There's no denying that she's very good at her job. I can't believe I have to wait until September 2017 for the next installment. I'll be counting the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment