Thursday, December 29, 2016

Review: Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher

Rating: ⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆
Date published: December 24, 2016
Genres: Contemporary

Synopsis from Goodreads:
When Fig Coxbury buys a house on West Barrett Street, it's not because she likes the neighborhood, or even because she likes the house. It's because everything she desires is next door: The husband, the child, and the life that belongs to someone else.

I must admit, I was one of those crazy PLN fangirls desperately waiting for this release all day (not desperate enough to join those begging for a copy, but I've been very excited nonetheless). Tarryn Fisher is right up there with Sarah J. Maas and Richelle Mead as my favorite authors of all time. I love her writing and the way she crafts a story. There's no denying that Tarryn is very good at what she does, both the writing and getting us dying for a new book to be released.

Tarryn made my Christmas when I woke up and found out that Bad Mommy had been published. I instantly bought it and read it in one sitting. It was amazing and I simply couldn't put it down. When I finished, I spent several days reeling. I wasn't ready to leave the book world behind. There was so much depth to Bad Mommy, so many twists and turns that were so satisfying. Right after I finished I wanted to read it again. I have to say, that has never happened to me with a book. I've never read a book all the way through and then immediately started a reread.

I wasn't sure how to review Bad Mommy for the longest time. I wasn't sure what words I could possibly say to do this novel justice. In fact, I'm still not, but I want others to pick up Bad Mommy, so I'm making it up as I go along.

Bad Mommy is a novel that's told in three parts. the psychopath, the sociopath, and the writer. Each section is told by a different person. Each section makes you aware that you had no idea what's true and what's a lie by the narrator. Take Fig's POV for instance, she's an unreliable narrator because she's actually a psychopath. She lies so much and it's hard to know which of her lies are true and which are fake because she believes her own lies. It's not until about 50% through the book that we begin to see that the story is something different than what Fig would have us believe.

The events of Bad Mommy were mindblowing. Tarryn Fisher's writing was great as usual, but it's these three characters that really make this story. I loved being in the head of each and every character, even if I happened to hate the characters. They felt so realistic, with heavy psychology influences.

Bad Mommy begins with Fig seeing a little girl in a park and believing she sees the soul of the child she miscarried. She follows Jolene and her daughter Mercy home, spending hours outside their house and visiting multiple days. When she sees the house next door to them is for sale, she buys it. She wants to be Jolene, who to her is Bad Mommy, so she little by little buys anything and everything she sees that Jolene owns: clothes, hair color, home decor. Jolene is her obsession and that's where I'm going to stop the summary because I don't want to give anything away.

Bad Mommy is just the type of book you need to go into without knowing too much information. You need to experience all the twists and turns for yourself. Bad Mommy is definitely worth the read (or two), as well as all of Tarryn's other books. She's a fantastic author, the type I would read anything from, no matter what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment